San José: Say "Thanks!" or "I'm sad!" re. Charcot Ave. Extension Project
San José residents, speak up! On June 9, 2020, the City Council voted to move forward with the Charcot Ave. Extension Project. This misguided plan from nearly a quarter century ago would build a road expansion next to (and partially on top of) the grounds of Orchard School in North San José, increasing air pollution, safety risks, and greenhouse gas emissions against the wishes of the community, where 93% of the students are children of color and 48% qualify for free or reduced-price lunch.
Good news: This is not the final vote on the project, so we still have a chance to stop it!
Will you help us hold your Council Member accountable by sending a quick email now?
😀• If your Council Member voted NO, please tell them thank you!
😥• If your Council Member voted YES, please let them know you're sad and ask them to reconsider.
❓• If your Council Member was absent, please urge them to vote NO the next time this issue comes to Council.
It's easy: just follow these simple steps:
1. Find out who your Council Member is by using this easy tool to see which San José district you live in.
2. See how your Council Member voted on the list below:
• D1, Chappie Jones: YES 😥
• D2, Sergio Jimenez: YES 😥
• D3, Raul Peralez: NO 😀
• D4, Lan Diep: YES 😥
• D5, Magdalena Carrasco: NO 😀
• D6, Dev Davis: YES 😥
• D7, Maya Esparza: (absent)❓
• D8, Sylvia Arenas (absent)❓
• D9, Pam Foley: NO 😀
• D10, Johnny Khamis: YES 😥
3. Write your email by copying and/or tweaking this sample text, based on how YOUR Council Member voted:
• If they voted NO: Thank you for protecting the health and safety of the Orchard School community by opposing the outdated Charcot Ave. Extension Project. As your constituent, I really appreciate you honoring the wishes of the community and prioritizing children and climate over cars. Please support efforts to build a bicycle and pedestrian overpass instead. Thank you!
• If they voted YES: I am sad to see that you voted to proceed with the outdated Charcot Ave. Extension Project, which threatens the health and safety of Orchard School students, 93% of whom are children of color. As your constituent, I hope you will reconsider and, the next time this issue comes before Council, please oppose the road project and instead support a bicycle and pedestrian overpass. I really hope you will honor the wishes of the community and prioritize children and climate over cars. Thank you.
• If they were absent: I was sad to see the City Council move forward, by the narrowest of margins, on the outdated Charcot Ave. Extension Project, putting in jeopardy the health and safety of this community where 93% of the students are children of color. As your constituent, I'm asking you to please voice your opposition to this project and make it clear that you prioritize children and climate over cars. Please support efforts to build a bicycle and pedestrian overpass instead. Thank you!"
4. Email your Council Member by inserting your SJ district number in place of the # sign: Districtfirstname.lastname@example.org.
5. If you're not yet an official member of Mothers Out Front, please help us build our power by joining us with a contribution of any amount ($1, $10, $100, etc.: YOUR choice). We'd love to keep you updated on next steps. We NEVER sell, give away or trade names in our database and you ALWAYS have the option to unsubscribe at any time.
Thank you for speaking up for climate justice!
Mothers Out Front South Bay
Do you like this page?